Word up with Obama

November 29, 2010

If you’d asked Americans ten years ago if they’d like to see a black President, I think one-third would be in favor, another third would be indifferent, and the last third would probably make some “intelligent” comment like “It’s the White House for a reason.” Now how has any of this changed in a decade? Well, we have a black President but that’s about it.  Ironic, considering the buzzword Obama touted throughout his campaign was “change”.  In the world of computer graphics, there’s a term called a “pallatte-swap”.  In effect, this means that a character model’s colours are changed but they serve the same function as the inital model or sprite.

Politicians are a faulty lot as is.  Anyone expecting major change from one puppet to another is a fool.  Obama is a change from Bush’s pin-the-tail-on-the-jackass approach at governing the nation, but he’s inherited a mess.  His decision making has mostly been quiet, leading the most of his criticism.  Bush’s silence was disturbing because anytime he opened his mouth he seemed to blurt some moronic idea that you could tell he took half a term to form the words to say, instead of asking himself “is this a good idea?” Obama’s is less eerie because less has changed.  As a nation, America seems to have been left to it’s own devices with the president acting as the Queen of England would: a figurehead to a nation that just needs someone to look to.

Obama’s memoirs paint a portrait of a man who is in touch with his racial identity as well as observant of the identities of those around him.  As a writer, and perhaps as a human being even, he seems fairly grounded in reality.  However, as a politician he seems to be a streamlined pallatte-swap of William Taft.  That’s not to say that Obama is fat and lazy, but has he brought change besides the footnotes in the history book? Thus far no.  Bush proved that you shouldn’t try to fix what isn’t broken, but two years into his term and we’re still wondering how Obama will fix the wreck that Bush caused.

2 Responses to “Word up with Obama”

1.   hodia suplements Says:

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

2.   moncler jackora Says:

I truly wanted to type a small message to thank you for the great secrets you are writing at this website. My long internet lookup has now been paid with professional strategies to exchange with my visitors. I would claim that most of us readers are undoubtedly endowed to dwell in a very good network with so many special people with very helpful tips. I feel quite happy to have discovered the web page and look forward to many more brilliant times reading here. Thanks a lot once again for a lot of things.