The Purpose of a Blog

November 29, 2010

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I SUCK AT KEEPING UP WITH BLOGS! It’s not that I have no interest, it’s that I’ve got a certain standard of quality I like to meet before my thoughts are published and it’s difficult for me to keep up with several thoughts I’m supposed to jot down a few times a week.  How do I answer the questions? How do I respond to the text itself? How do I trail off and make a compeltely different rant?

I’ve always been criminally awful with keeping up with journals back from the days of books (anybody else remember that sorta thing?) or other blogs I’ve had to keep.  This blog isn’t any different, really.  I appreciate the fact I can freely air out how much I love a book or wish ill upon the author, publisher, and binder for unleashing a particular trashy novel into the world, but the truth is that I’d prefer to do so in one big, consolidated train of consciousness instead of reflecting on parts of a book at a time.  It’s more in tune with the way I work.

I don’t agree with studying a novel piece by piece until I’ve read it over once.  For me to stop reading to jot down thougts to me is like asking a band at a concert to stop playing so you can copy down the setlist so far.  How much did the authors intend people to read into with these books? Did they tailor their works for group study, private reflection, or personal enjoyment? The way I see it, most of the books we’ve read this semester fit into the latter two categories, with only the essays and criticisms we’ve briefly touched on falling into the group study idea.

I know I can’t shape the class around my individual needs, but I can’t pretend to be comfortable having a bunch of micro essays each week instead of one big moneyshot per book or month.  Maybe it’s just me? It probably is.  I’ve always held the opinion that blogs are websites people can go on to feel self-important and bitch about petty things.  I’ve always hated that idea, yet here I am right now doing just that.  Technology can be a wonderful tool if utilized correctly, but I feel that blogs are not in the best interest of humanity and/or academics.

The essay is an art form that the blog has desecrated, and I feel like I’m just dragging the knife across its throat by being a blogger.  I could deal with Twitter, since short musings can be insightful as essays, but asking for a gelded form of an intellectually challenging and well-structured document seems counter-intuitive to education.  Students should write more, this is true, BUT they should write more to enunciate and elaborate on their ideas in the context of a whole novel, as opposed to writing “I’m stuck at this part now, but it helps me understand yesterday’s reading more even if I still can’t make sense of it.” Music has devolved from grand mulit-part symphonies that would carry on for hours to the iTunes and radio friendly single.  Nobody has the attention span for an EP anymore, nevermind a suite.  Is it safe to say that this is the same fate that awaits literature and it’s critics? Everyone posts their works in progress, or their interpretations of works in progress, without having a deeper understanding and realization of what they’re creating?

4 Responses to “The Purpose of a Blog”

1.   beverly gross Says:

you really have an excellent argument.

hmmm.

2.   ereyes89 Says:

I completely agree Peter.

3.   Haga information Says:

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been doing a little research on this. And he actually bought me breakfast due to the fact that I found it for him… lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your web site.

4.   Onno Vocks social Says:

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day. It’s always useful to read through articles from other writers and practice something from their websites.