Sounding off on “Fury”

November 14, 2010

Well, what’s to say about The Sound and the Fury? Where it came alive for me? I get Faulkner’s stream of conscious angle.  I’d think if anyone did, it would be me after all.  That’s not to toot my own own, but Faulkner’s style is perhaps even more disjointed than my own.  If Thompson is my influence, Faulkner’s my grindstone.  That’s a real word, right? “Grindstone”? I’m not doing some Oscar Wilde thomyorkefoolery and making up words to suit my purposes?

Right, so when does the book come alive? I daresay that my worldview has not made the book come alive for me, but rather I acknowledge the fact I’ve always co-existed with this book.  Drab as people may have seen the opening pages, or as confused as the time shifts may have been for others, I never felt too lost by this book.  You can’t shit a bullshitter, after all.  I admittedly haven’t dug some of the readings we’d done after Heart of Darkness, but The Sound and the Fury actually is halfway decent.  Perhaps that’s why this blog entry is so concise and lacking my usual wit?

Truth is every character is played as a human being worth of empathy rather than some half-assed metaphor or other enigma.  Their plights are all very real things that I and people I know have experienced to some degree.  I couldn’t tear this book apart if I tried.

4 Responses to “Sounding off on “Fury””

1.   beverly gross Says:

2nd evaluation: ????????

Hemingway and Islamic Revolution entries quite good. But you took a long time off. Your single Faulkner entry has its intriguing moments but……

2.   beverly gross Says:

I just noted that my first evaluation was quite similar, but with only one question mark.

3.   San Says:

Right here is the right blog for anybody who wishes to understand this topic.
    You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would want to…HaHa).

You certainly put a new spin on a topic which has been discussed for ages.
    Excellent stuff, just excellent!

4.   Archie Says:

Hello There. I discovered your blog the use
    of msn. This is a really neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your useful info.
    Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

Also visit my site … waste management employment houston (Archie)