…And Justice For Allah

October 28, 2010

Islam is the most misunderstood religion in the modern world. Especially in the post-9/11 world, the most popular images of Muslims are ones displaying them as warmongers hell bent on converting everyone to their faith. Of course, this is just a widespread stereotype that political opponents of Iraq and the Middle East hold. It is true that Iraq started the Islamic Revolution, as illustrated in Persepolis, but it has less to do with the religion’s beliefs than it does with individual revolutionaries and extremist factions. Indeed, Christianity would not look so pure if society kept the memory of the violence of the crusades and the Ku Klux Klan, or even the Nazis’ revisionist attempts at making Jesus into an Aryan superhero sent by God to kill the Jews. Seriously.

Islam gets a bad rap not because it is an inherantly evil religion, but because the most vocal and violent minority happen to hold the strictest and most literal interpretation of the Qu’ran. As seen in the graphic novel, this faction managed to seize control and political influence in the Middle East resulting in a theocracy governed by a radical interpretation of their holy text and fear by the unstable faction who hold those words as literal. Any high school student who’s read The Crucible can tell you that extremist religion added to totalitarian power over fear leads to true terrorism.

America is no stranger to this type of terrorism. 9/11 was a tragedy, but the true terrors committed on American soil are things the government had comitted against its people: the Salem Witch Trials, the internment of Asians during World War II, and the blind racism and fear spread by people in positions of power such as McCarthy and Bush. I don’t believe an entire faith or race can be based on hate, but basing a government’s reign on fear and antiquated literature designed as morality stories never leads to good things. Not in America, not in Iraq, not anywhere. No matter how peaceful a religion is, a minority holds staunch views to keep tradition and not read deeper into the text. Guaranteed, if America was overtaken by Amish tomorrow morning we’d still be oppressed. The Islamic Revolution was a bad idea because of a marriage of extremist beliefs of religion and government.

2 Responses to “…And Justice For Allah”

1.   beverly gross Says:

powerful and illuminating

2.   Donna Kidney Says:

When I originally left a comment I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the same comment. Is there a way you can remove me from that service? Thanks a lot!